NCICS’s diverse workforce of researchers, technical experts, post-docs, and support staff engage in a range of research projects and collaboration activities with the fundamental goal of enhancing our collective interdisciplinary understanding of the state and evolution of the full Earth System. The Institute is located in downtown Asheville, NC, and we are co-located with the headquarters of NOAA’s National Centers for Environmental Information.
See Why Work at NCICS? for more on what we do and why you might want to join our team.
Current Job Postings
The Director of Finance and Administration, as part of the NCICS senior leadership team, will work with the NCICS Director and Deputy Director in strategic planning and execution of all institute activities and programs and will be responsible for the efficient management and strategic oversight of the institute’s research and operations portfolio in accomplishing the institute’s vision to inspire cutting-edge research and collaboration; advance understanding of the current and future state of the climate; and engage with business, academia, government, and the public to enhance decision-making.
The Postdoctoral Research Scholar will be working in the area of satellite data analysis to support the Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite (GOES) Fundamental Climate Data Record (FCDR). Projected tasks include international coordination with EUMETSAT efforts in the GEORING project, review and assessment of calibration approaches for historical GOES data, definition of a GOES FCDR format with NOAA and international collaborators, and preparation for data processing including investigation of on-prem and cloud options.
The North Carolina Institute for Climate Studies (NCICS) is seeking a temporary Outreach and Engagement Specialist. The Outreach and Engagement Specialist will work closely with the Director of Corporate Engagement and Strategic Partnerships to provide support for Institute engagement and outreach activities.
The new Carolinas Regional Integrated Sciences and Assessment NOAA (RISA) program, the Carolinas Collaborative on Climate, Health, and Equity (C3HE) at NC State University, in partnership with the Southeast Climate Adaptation Science Center (SECASC), is recruiting for a temporary Climate Adaptation Research Coordinator to coordinate and perform community-based research and programmatic activities for tribal communities which support local tribal action and policy advancement to address tribal climate impacts. The integrated physical and social science research performed in this position will be tailored to the needs and priorities of the participating communities, and the solutions developed will be co-designed to tackle both the societal drivers of risk and the changing climate hazard landscape. This is a community-based research project involving a partnership between the NCSU/C3HE, USGS/SECASC, and the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians aimed at advancing climate action in tribal communities. The person in this position will report to the North Carolina Institute for Climate Studies (NCICS) C3HE project co-lead in Asheville.
The Climate Adaptation Research Coordinator will perform a variety of project activities including study coordination, participant recruitment, and community engaged research focused on climate resilience.
- To apply for jobs, please click the link in the job title above and follow the instructions provided on the NCSU job page for that position.
- Unless otherwise indicated, these positions will be located at our offices in downtown Asheville, North Carolina.
- For information on internships, please see our Internships page.
- NC State is committed to diversity, inclusion and equal opportunity: NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability or status as a protected veteran.
- For information on other employment opportunities with North Carolina State University, please see: NCSU Jobs.